Rooster Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested, providing a market for cottage industries that are Fair-Trade Certified.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually.
- Cards are blank on the inside and have a great story on the reverse side about the picture on the front.
- Handmade cards are not available for wholesale pricing.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
Great power and mystery is attached to the rooster, as it has figured prominently in mythology and religions from ancient times. The rooster is one of the twelve signs of the Chinese zodiac, signifying the qualities of optimism, intelligence, vigilance and enthusiasm, to name a few.
The rooster and the dog were both sacred in the religion of Zoroaster. A verse attributed to Chanakya from about 300 BC states four lessons the rooster can teach us:
1) to defend yourself
2) to get up early
3) to eat with your family
4) to protect your spouse.
Roosters are extremely entertaining to watch, not to mention very colorful, as they keep watch over their hens with a confidence and self-assurance that is always amusing.
artwork by Marcia Eames-Sheavly © 2003
text by Anne Trawick