Horses Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested, providing a market for cottage industries that are Fair-Trade Certified.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually.
- Cards are blank on the inside and have a great story on the reverse side about the picture on the front.
- Handmade cards are not available for wholesale pricing.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
Magical and mystical, the horse has been said to be the first animal “medicine” of civilization. This is so since the horse, by allowing man to ride upon its back, made travel less burdensome. Distances could be covered more quickly and easily on horseback than on foot. Interactions between cultures became possible and the diversity in life was discovered. Through the horse, man was given more freedom and power.
Throughout the ancient world the horse has been almost as important a figure as the sun, being associated with death and rebirth and also with the rising and setting sun. The horse enabled the ancient shamans to “fly” to the spirit world. Through horses we are still connected to our primal and ancient past. Horses can still conjure within us the sense of freedom and power the ancient must have felt.
artwork by Lisa Baechtle © 2003
text by Anne Trawick