Squirrel Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested, providing a market for cottage industries that are Fair-Trade Certified.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually.
- Cards are blank on the inside and have a great story on the reverse side about the picture on the front.
- Handmade cards are not available for wholesale pricing.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
The grey squirrel is a prolific and adaptable tree squirrel native to the eastern and Midwestern US and southern portions of Canada. They generally construct their dens upon large tree branches as well as the hollow trunks of trees. They prefer oak-hickory forests as they enjoy acorns and a wide variety of other nuts. Grey squirrels have a high tolerance for humans and easily inhabit residential neighborhoods.
The grey squirrel is a scatter-hoarder; it hoards food in numerous small caches. Some caches are quite temporary, especially when taking advantage of a site with a sudden abundance of food which can be retrieved within hours or days for reburial in a more secure site. Other caches are more permanent and are not retrieved until months later. Each squirrel is estimated to make thousands of caches each season; they have an extremely accurate spatial memory for the locations of these hidden food stores.
Unlike many squirrels, the grey squirrel does not hibernate during winter months. Although they tend to be shy, their bashfulness tends to disappear when they are fed!
artwork by Susan Bull Riley © 2010