Screech Owl Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested, providing a market for cottage industries that are Fair-Trade Certified.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually.
- Cards are blank on the inside and have a great story on the reverse side about the picture on the front.
- Handmade cards are not available for wholesale pricing.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
The Screech Owl is a small owl with ear tufts and camouflage coloring; color varies from grey to brown to rust. This owl ranges throughout much of North America into central Mexico, preferring woodlands and farm groves. Despite their small size, screech owls have no problem dispatching creatures as large as rats or ruffed grouse; they commonly eat mice and large insects.
Screech owls incubate each egg as it is laid in sequence. Thus the young within the brood vary widely in age and size. This tactic allows the owls to raise all their young if food is plentiful, or just the first few if food is scarce.
Owls embody wisdom, magic, and vision. As nocturnal birds, screech owls help to unlock the secrets of the night. With their keen eyesight and hearing owls can pinpoint prey even on the darkest of nights. Those with owl medicine are said to be able to detect subtleties, able to hear what is not being said.
artwork by Susan Bull Riley © 2014