Beaver Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually in 100% biodegradable cellophane sleeve.
- Cards are blank on the inside for your message.
- Back of card has educational story, shown below in description.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
Beavers are found throughout North America except the Southwest and Mexico. To beavers, a pond is security as they are primarily aquatic. The tail is perhaps the beavers most distinguishing characteristic; broad and flat with blackish scales it serves as a rudder, sculling oar, and alarm-sounder when slapped on water.
Beavers build well-engineered dams to slow water flow in streams and rivers, and then build a stable lodge for their shelter. Beavers are a keystone species as their dams create habitat for other aquatic organisms. From the point of view of water quality, water supply, and wildlife habitats, beavers are generally beneficial. Beavers are the only animals other than humans to alter their environment to suit their needs. This distinction earned them the name Little People from the Native Americans of New England. Beavers can teach us to make our dreams a reality through our actions.
artwork and text by Steve Sierigk © 2001