Bearded Iris Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually in 100% biodegradable cellophane sleeve.
- Cards are blank on the inside for your message.
- Back of card has educational story, shown below in description.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
The bearded iris is one of the oldest cultivated flowers with carvings of this hardy perennial found in Egyptian temples dating back to 1500 BC. Highly valued for its medicinal properties as well as its beauty, the flower could be found from Western Europe to Nepal.
In the 1800’s, breeders in France increased the popularity of the bearded iris by developing new varieties, and by the 1920’s it was ranked as one of the top 3 perennials in American gardens.
Iris is the Greek word for “rainbow”, which is a fitting name since the flower comes in a variety of colors including blue, purple, white, yellow, pink, orange, brown, red and black. In the Victorian language of the flower the iris symbolizes “eloquence”.
artwork by Susan Bull Riley © 2004
text by Anne Trawick