Sphinx Moth Lokta Card
$5.00 – $8.00
- Our images are set in a frame on this beautiful, handmade paper from the Nepalese Lokta shrub.
- This tree-free paper is both environmentally friendly and sustainably harvested, providing a market for cottage industries that are Fair-Trade Certified.
- Each card comes with an envelope and is packaged individually.
- Cards are blank on the inside and have a great story on the reverse side about the picture on the front.
- Handmade cards are not available for wholesale pricing.
Back of Card DESCRIPTION
Sphinx moths are generally large, robust moths. Their forewings are long and narrow, hindwings are shorter. Wingspans of this family range from 2-8 inches. They are also known as “hawk moths” or “hummingbird moths” because of their swift, hovering flight.
Sphinx moths are often mistaken for hummingbirds and bumblebees because of their similarities in size and foraging behavior. Most members of this family are active between dark and dawn (nocturnal). Like hummingbirds, many sphinx moths fly in a quick, darting manner and hover over flowers sipping nectar. Adult sphinx moths have a long straw-like tongue which they keep curled under their head. They are generally attracted to flowers with a strong, sweet scent and which are white or pale in color. Sphinx moths in turn help to pollinate these flowers as their fuzzy bodies are excellent pollen carriers.
The large caterpillars of this family are often called “hornworms” because of a horn-like appendage on the last abdominal segment. Sphinx moths get their name from the posture assumed by caterpillars of this family when disturbed, which is reminiscent of the Egyptian Sphinx.
Transformation of the often-intimidating caterpillars into the more spectacular adult moths reminds us to embrace change.
artwork by Irene Brady © 2003
text by Steve Sierigk
You may also like…
Malachite Butterfly Notecard$3.00 – $22.00 Select options
Calico Pennant Notepad$8.00 Add to cart
Swallowtail Stationery$16.00 Add to cart
Damselfly Bookmark$1.00 Add to cart
Luna Moth Lokta Card$5.00 – $8.00 Select options
Sphinx Moth Small Journal$20.00 Select options
Monarch Butterfly and Common Milkweed Notecard$3.00 – $22.00 Select options
Luna Moth Small Journal$20.00 Select options